Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Walking Dead: Book 1 Review

So after reading book 1 of The Walking Dead I have to say that I'm kind of mad at myself for not getting into this graphic novel sooner. I was never able to get my self fully into comics and graphic novels at an earlier age. My friends were not really into them so I never was properly introduced and shown the ropes. I loved watching cartoons of comic book heroes like: X-Men, Spiderman, Batman, etc... but I figured getting into the comic books wouldn't be worth it, especially if I wanted to start from the beginning. There are all kinds of authors, artists, and it just seemed like a lot to follow.

The Walking Dead sparked interest in me when a friend of mine posted a video trailer for the show that's coming out on AMC on Halloween. It kind of reminded me of the 28 Days Later plot.

The book that I've been providing links and pictures of is Book 1. Now there are technically two book ones for this series. There is Book 1 which is the first story, which consists of the first six comics. Then there's book 1 which is the first two stories which consists of comics 1-12. It's really weird to explain how they do it. I guess a little bit of research won't help haha. But it's simple. I rather not explain fully because I'm more than likely to get you over confused with something so little.

I ordered the hard cover book 1 and said I was ordering 1 and 2, but I didn't I wanted to see how the first book went and now I'm kicking myself in the ass. I'm probably going to start buying the individual stories to collect the books as one instead of combining two books in one. The soft covers are the individual stories and the hard covers have cool concept art at the end.

The Walking Dead is a very well written graphic novel. It's a story of survival during a zombie apocalypse. During the first two stories, "Days Gone By" and "Miles Behind Us". The story kind of gives me a Romero feeling. It's not a comical or happy kind of story. It's got a lot of fucked up things going on, and some incidents that surprise you.

The main character is Rick. Rick is a cop who gets shot and falls unconscious and wakes up in a hospital bed. After calling for help, he gets out of his bed only to find out that in his area of the hospital, he is alone. Eventually Rick goes on to find out that not only is the hospital abandoned, but his whole town is as well.

Rick goes back home to find his wife and kid, and they're gone too. Ricks main goal is to find his wife and son, and he won't stop at it until he does.

Rick is the good guy. He kind of reminds of Jack from Lost. He's always trying to do good and help out. If you have or have not read it, you'll eventually see what I mean.

The artwork is awesome even though it's in black and white.



I can't wait to pick up some more books and read them. It's one of those zombie stories where you get a great dosage of drama, action, great artwork and forth. Hopefully the show doesn't stray away from the stories. The stories are definitely good enough and should not be tampered with.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


DEAD RISING 2 THIS TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. There's a new zombie comedy featuring Dead Rising 2: http://www.youtube.com/show/biteme?s=1

    ReplyDelete